Through the provisions of Act 48 in the state of Pennsylvania, educators are required to engage in 150 hours of professional development over the course of a five year period. PCTELA has been approved as a provider of these professional development hours. In an attempt to facilitate professional development and the fulfillment of the act requirements for our members, we have initiated the PCTELA OUTREACH PROGRAM under which professional development programs can be developed and executed in our members’ home school district or building.
- Educators and/or school entities can apply to PCTELA for official “sanction” or approval of a professional development function.
- They may only submit one function (or a maximum of 5 Act 48 hours) for approval.
- If PCTELA approves the function, an “Outreach Coordinator” will be assigned for the function to verify that it took place and the attendance.
- Each person attending the function will receive 2 Act 48 hours. Once they have received these two hours, they can not receive further hours from PCTELA unless they become a PCTELA member.
- If the attendee is a PCTELA member (or becomes a PCTELA member at the onset of the function), they can receive the maximum approved hours for the function.
- Individual educators may attend multiple functions each school year but no individual educator may receive more that 10 hours per school year through this program.
- Applicants are encouraged to publicize the function, making it available to other educators in the area as appropriate.
- All costs for the function are to be incurred by the applying entity or educator.
- When timely, PCTELA will assist in publicizing the event through the PCTELA newsletter. However, other than the granting of Act 48 credit, PCTELA will incur no responsibility for the function.